Underwater Acoustics Webinar Series
The DOSITS Team facilitates a webinar series on topics related to underwater sound for the international decision-making community and other interested communities. Each year the webinar series has a different focus (topics listed below). The webinars are generally one or two presenters, followed by questions and last between one and one and a half hours. Archives of all webinars are listed below.
In 2020 the DOSITS Team will facilitate a free, four-part webinar series on underwater sound.
- Fundamentals of Underwater Sound on Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 12pm EDT
Tracianne Neilsen – Department of Physics and Astronomy, Brigham Young University
- Review of NMFS Regulatory Approach to Underwater Noise on Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 12pm EDT
(**this webinar is rescheduled from May 19, 2020)
Jolie Harrison – Permits and Conservation Division, NMFS Office of Protected Resources
- Regulatory Approach to Underwater Noise, U.S. Approach Compared to that of the E.U. and Other Locations in September 2020 (date TBD)
Klaus Lucke – JASCO Applied Sciences, Australia
- How are Passive Acoustics Data Used to Inform the Decision-Making Process? on Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 12pm ET
Elizabeth Henderson – U.S. Naval Information Warfare Center (NIWC), Environmental Readiness Branch
- Marine Seismic Acoustic Sources (Dr. Bob Gisner) took place Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
- Pile Driving and Wind Turbines (Dr. James Miller & Dr. Kathy Vigness-Raposa, Dr. Jakob Tougaard) took place Wednesday, May 22, 2019.
- Commercial Vessel Traffic (Michelle Sanders & Tabitha Takeda) took place Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- Echosounders and Military Sonar (Dr. Kelly Benoit-Bird and Dr. Frans-Peter Lam) took place Thursday October 10, 2019,
- Sound Reception in Marine Mammals (Dr. Darlene Ketten) took place Tuesday, April 24, 2018.
- Potential Effects of Sound on Marine Mammals (Dr. Brandon Southall) took place Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
- Sound Production and Reception in Teleost Fishes (Dr. Craig Radford) took place Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
- Potential Effects of Sound on Marine Fishes (Dr. Arthur Popper) took place Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
- Science of Sound Archive
- Marine Animal Sound Production & Reception Archive
- Potential Effects of Sound on Marine Mammals Archive
- Potential Effects of Sound on Marine Fishes Archive
- DOSITS Webinar Summary and Questions Archive