Webinar Testing and Troubleshooting Tips
How to prepare before a DOSITS Webinar
It is very important to do his ahead of time to verify that WebEx will work properly on your computer.
1) We recommend that you do not use Firefox to launch WebEx.
- In our experience Firefox just does not work well with WebEx, even though WebEx lists Firefox as supported. We have found about 75% of the technical problems we have encountered with webinar participants can be solved by using a browser other than Firefox.
2) Recommended Browsers and Operating Systems (updated early 2018)
- Chrome (recent version v54+), Internet Explorer (9+), and Safari (9+) all work well
- Edge is not fully supported
- Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 are all supported
- Mac OS X 10.9 through 10.13 are all supported
- Some Linux versions are supported. Look at help.webex.com for details.
- Windows XP and Vista will not work – WebEx discontinued support for those systems.
- Mobile devices can download native apps that work in recent versions of the major mobile operating systems – iOS, Android, and Windows. These apps are free. Please be sure to use the most recent version.
3) How to conduct a browser and basic network test at the WebEx test meeting site:
- Go to the test page in your browser: www.webex.com/test-meeting.html
- Enter in your name and email address
- If you have never used WebEx before, you will need to download a plug-in. Depending on the security settings on your browser or system, you may need administrator privileges to grant permission for this download.
WebEx Meeting Center will launch and load.
- You will need to dismiss a dialogue box that says the host has not joined the meeting.
You should then get a screen with an image that says you have a “Congratulations, your test was successful” at the top, if not, then there is a problem.
NOTE: the browser test has no other component – no audio and no interaction. Once you get the “successful” message you can quit the test.
If you do not get the “successful” message, first, try another browser and then try restating your computer. If you continue to have problems, contact an ISC staff member for help.
- This test does not check your audio or video capabilities though WebEx.
If you are having Audio problems (no audio) in a WebEx meeting session – during a webinar
- In the WebEx app – under the Audio menu item, choose Integrated Voice Conference
- Confirm you have joined the conference. If not, join the Integrated Voice Conference.
- If the issue is not resolved: In the same Audio menu, choose Speaker/Microphone Audio Test. Run the test and confirm that the correct speakers and microphone are assigned to be used by WebEx.
- You should also verify the speaker and microphone settings in the Operating System settings as they can be out of sync with the settings in WebEx and cause issues.
- NOTE: you do not need a microphone to participate in the DOSITS Webinars – in fact, we ask that you always keep your microphone muted.
- If you are still having audio issues, try leaving the meeting and re-joining.
- If re-joining does not work, try re-joining with a different browser.
- Finally, try re-start your computer and re-join the meeting.
- If you are still having audio problems(no audio from the conference), the issue may be more complex. Sometimes audio settings or other programs on the local computer can cause problems and sometimes local network issues can prevent audio from working. Please work with your local technical support personnel to solve the audio issues if the above suggestions do not resolve the issue..
If you continue to have problems connecting with WebEx, please contact an ISC staff member.
Additional information about WebEx
If you have trouble connecting to the WebEx service (no response at all), you may have a firewall on your network that will prevent connections to WebEx.
- WebEx generally uses port 80 and 443 (standard web ports) during DOSITS Webinars.
- If you do have network issues, check that the following domains are not blocked:
You need to open connectivity over ports 80 and 443 for the following domains:
- all the sub-domains of webex.com and webexconnect.com.
Additional information about troubleshooting and networks is available on the WebEx help pages.